Articles & Interviews

Bill Interviewed by Verdens Gang (VG.no) - July 12, 2014

Bill in the news. Print, audio and video interviews & articles.

Bill Interviewed by Verdens Gang (VG.no) - July 12, 2014

Postby Santress » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:44 pm

From Verdens Gang:

Despite the fact that his older brother Alexander Skarsgard (37) has played in the vampire series "True Blood" since 2008, Bill (23) did not ask for advice when he got the lead role in 'Hemlock Grove'.

Bill Skarsgård, born Bill Istvan Günther Skarsgård, is ready this weekend for a new season of his Netflix series.

Last year he landed his first major international role in "Hemlock Grove," a series that is often described as a modern version of "Twin Peaks." He plays the character of Roman Godfrey - an attractive, arrogant and blasé rich man's son from a small town in Pennsylvania where there is a lot of mystery.

"The new season will be more violent, bloody, unpredictable and with even more bizarre items," says Skarsgård, on the phone from the United States, to VG.

Challenge

In the season finale viewers saw that the 23-year-old's character took his life, and was turned into an upir - a vampire. The change in role of the character was a challenge for Skarsgård.

"My character is fighting now with a moral dilemma - he will drink blood but does not harm people. The difficulty with the new season was to get the character to be real and credible since he has supernatural abilities that do not exist in reality."

Despite the challenges of the part it was never necessary for Bill to discuss the vampire role with big brother and sex symbol Alexander (37) . He is, in fact, well known to many as the powerful vampire Eric Northman in the HBO series "True Blood". A series that has been going since 2008.

"I purposely avoided asking Alexander how he would have interpreted the role and for advice. Vampire-types are completely different in the two series, and so I am very keen to keep family and work separate. I'd rather not ask them for help when it comes to the role - this is my own process and I think I've managed fine until now," he said.

The 23-year-old has worked as an actor since the age of ten, and has also starred in "Anna Karenina" and the Norwegian blockbuster "Victoria," in addition to a number of productions in his native Sweden.

There is no doubt that the acting gene is strong in the Skarsgård family. The veteran actor Stellan Skarsgård (63) has a total of eight children, four of his sons have followed in his footsteps and opted for acting. That so many of his immediate family has a foot in the same industry Bill greatly appreciates.

"It's nice to know that when you need them they support you. It's good to know that you can come home to your family if something at work has been hard and they really understand how you have it. My dad and my brothers are very supportive of my work."

We do what we love

With large and small projects, the 23-year-old has been in 11 films and three television series. He thrives at the fast pace.

"It's very fun to work a lot and I want to work on projects that interest me. I feel like I'm young and at the very start of my career, so to be inspired by good people is the best for me right now."

VG: Your father boasts a long and rich acting career. How do you think your future looks?

"I will have a career as long as dad's, if not longer. There is no doubt about that. If you ask my brothers, they say enough of the same, but there is no competition between us. It's more that we do what we love," says 23-year-old.

by Kristine Hellem Aanstad

(Source: VG.no + Some clean-up/interpretation/cross-translation comparison by me, Photo credit: Roger Neumann)

http://www.vg.no/rampelys/tv/hollywood/ ... /23251712/
Santress
Babylon 9

Return to Articles & Interviews